Tuesday, July 16, 2013

American History N8V X

Saw this a while back, and had to share.

What if people told European history like they told Native American history?

It's mostly funny because I am so often confronted with the perspectives of a dominant society that assumes "American" cultural history is the same for everyone. I don't know how often I hear that we should get back to the values of the 1950s or the 18th century or whatever era was more moral and less evil than our own.

This sounds like a rant, but in fact I am saying I am encouraged by the moral turns we are taking. Yes, we still have problems, and I don't like SO much of what has changed with values. But try being Native in 1950s America. Or black in 18th century America.

While I'm sad when I see values like that of Miss Spears or Honey Boo Boo held up as an ideal, I would still take that over the institutionalized racism and genocide of past "American values."

Just sayin'.

No comments: