Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Sigóowu Kíswas!


Or, in English, Merry Christmas!

I'll see you on the other side of Christmas, leaving you with this great Rick Allen image of just how Raven the Trickster gets Santa (Raven is usually pretty naughty) and a Tlingit Christmas carol.

Oh, no. I'm not going to sing (and you should thank me for that.) But I got this 12 Days of Christmas Tlingit-style last year, and am passing it on to you.

The last round:
On the twelfth day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
12 drummers drumming
11 salmon swimming
10 hunters hunting
9 Tlingit dancers
8 warriors paddling
7 cedar baskets
6 eagles soaring
5 totem poles
4 Ravens calling
3 button robes
2 killer whales
...and a keidlidee in a pear tree!

(make sure you sing that "totem poles" line with the gusto usually reserved for the golden rings, now!)

Merry Christmas, Sigóowu Hánakaa (Happy Hannakah), Sigóowu Kwaansá (Happy Kwanzaa)!

AND


Gu.aal kayéil ka yóot kawkidgani yoo at kooteek yee káa kawda.ooxóok ka tsu yá táakw tóonáx!

(May your holiday be bright and prosperous!)

2 comments:

Seven Crows said...

Happy Solstice and Merry Christmas. I haven't commented before but have been reading your blog for about 6 months. I really enjoy it - keep up the good work.

Is that print from a book? I love it!

Best wishes from Vermont!

Seven Crows said...

I found Rick Allen's stuff - it's fantastic! Oooh - need to save up for a print!